October 16, 2008

guilty pleasures

I think one of the world's most unknown top secrets (ok I know I'm exaggerating) is that the term "hobbies" is considered dead and it is now changed to "guilty pleasures". Why, I have no idea. Probably because in the real world, there are no hobbies allowed. For example me, as a working mum, who needs to keep up my breath between the kids, friends, work, go back and forth home, the office, pre-schools, pediatricians, and so forth, try to do what they called "the balancing act" which actually is a softer sentence of "a slave working mom whom the world demands her to perform 1001 things in successful and timely manner without any excuses." *Sigh*

So I don't have hobbies. I don't have time for the "so-called" hobbies. I have "guilty pleasures". Several activities that I secretly do in between my chores. And I enjoy them. Guilty as charged.

Some of my guilty pleasures are:

- Singing. I know this sounds a little bit tacky, and I’m definitely not a good singer (except in my bathroom and in the car), but recently I found karaoke singing and dancing are enjoyable and entertaining.

- Internet surfing. Of course, everyone who lives in the 21st century would consider this as a hobby, oops sorry, guilty pleasure. Who doesn't?

- Reading. Literature fascinates me. I am an avid reader... from the cheesy Shopaholic series to heavy Dan Brown's...from Harry Potter to John Grisham's... I'm more into books than movies. I prefer original English versions of books rather than translated ones.

So there you go... some of my guilty pleasures. What are yours?